Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Lulu Supermarket in Kuwait

Finally Lulu supermarket has opened in Kuwait and was it a grand affair!
Well the affair was grand of course, looking at the scale of operations and the prices been offered for their products. It always used to be like, when you hear 'Lulu' my mind goes to Dubai, but now anymore I guess.
Well to talk about it, I guess all the mallu's must have been there atleast once now, since it opened about a month back :) The place is huge, got items from the likes of food items to electronics to perfume shops to gym equipments to Costa Coffee to exchanges to jewellery shops to departmental stores. Max showroom, from where I get most of my shirts are also just a block away from Lulu.
The salesmen at Lulu seem to okay okay, they attend to you when called, I found one sales guy a little prejudice, in a way like he was attending to only the guys in dishdada's and was half bothered when my dad was enquiring about some item. Well that problem was fixed when I started firing away questions about the TV. I don't think I was agressive but I guess he got the point. That brings me to the point that although there are many salesmen all around the place, the salesmen had very little knowledge about electronics (This opinion is based on blank information I derived from 3 employees when asked about TV's and home theaters. they didnt have a clue of the stuff I was looking for in a TV and home theater. But saying this... I can't really blame the sales guys, but in fact the management of Lulu could have trained the guys in the department so they would be able to explain features of different TV's or Home Theaters to the customers better rather than just say, "SONY IS THE BEST" "SONY IS THE BEST" :) But overall the sales guys were attentive in comparison to th Alghanim Electronic Showroom guys.
Alghanim electronic showroom guys have one thing that Lulu salesmen don't have... which is knowledge about the products they sell. But then saying that they have their own weak point which is that they never come forward to help the customer. Its always the customer who got to bring them to explain a product (Most of the times I was in Alghanim this was the case:)).
Well right now the competition is on. We got Alghanim, City Center and Sultan Center, all extra marketing their products and giving incentives to customers to shop at their departments. But looking at the way things are going and the fact that Carrefour, which would open shortly and sell products even cheaper, Lulu and Carrefour in my opinion would soon eat into the market share :). In my opinion, the worst affected would be Sultan Center.
By the way I brought an Samsung LCD from Lulu, It was 270 KD whereas the same LCD from Alghanim was 33o Kd!!! This is with the warranty and the fact that Lulu themselves would come and pick up the LCD if there is any problem(one year period).
Now...you make your choice :)

No comments: